Thursday, December 04, 2008

Washing Machines and Snakes

I went rafting just before I came back to Peninsula. It was at Sungai Padas. It is at the Tenom-Pangi Dam. If you still remember your geography that is. It is in Sabah. The river was running really fast as it was monsoon season and the water level was high as well. The guides said that we came at the right season. Rather than during drought, you'll be feeling bored when it really should be adrenaline pumping.

Though the pictures show that the sport is dangerous, it really is not. The first time I was in the river was because I was pulled into the river by my boat guide. Then the second time, he asked if I wanted to jump into the river again and I did. It was FUN! and EXCITING!!!

We rowed for 23km down the river going pass washing machine and snake rapids and some other rapids that I forgot the name. The river is labelled Level 4. It is the highest level of difficulty that you can find in Malaysia. Any higher, you'll have to go to New Zealand for it. For Level 5 or 6 I think you'll be rowing down a waterfall according to the guide. We took about 3 hours to finish the ride.
This was the first picture taken. A few kilometers after we set out.
When you meet a rapid, you have to row harder and faster to build momentum and release your boat from being trapped in the rapids.We got panicked when 2 of our passengers got thrown overboard at the first rapid. Nothing happened. At the end of the trip we realised that falling out of the boat was something lucky and fun, to say the least.

No comments: