Tuesday, June 15, 2010

5 Cities Later



A whole BBQ lamb. One of the famous dishes in Ningxia
In Front of Tiananmen Square
Tongli, Suzhou
China Pavilion, Shanghai World Expo 2010
I'm back home once again after a long trip around China. Had a great time there thanks to my hospitable course mates. I went to Nanjing, Shanghai, Suzhou, Beijing and Ningxia. The first four cities might be familiar to everyone, the last city Ningxia might sound foreign. Ningxia is a northern province bordering Mongolia. Most of its people are Muslims aka the Hui people.
A City Wall in Nanjing.

I've tasted a lot of foods around China, some looked so foreign to me but they all tasted good. In
Ningxia, I think I consumed my entire lifetime's lamb portion within 8 days. Apparently the sheep there are famous all over China for its tender meat.

Shanghai was really packed with tourist especially at the World Expo. And Shanghai is very costly. Burned a big hole in my pocket just after 3 days.

Suzhou was much more relaxed and laid back. I got to sleep in a 300 year old house and on an antique bed that we only see in museums. The surroundings were really nice and ancient as well.

Beijing, although I didn't spend much time there, I managed to visit Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. These 2 places are right next to each other and they are massive. The entire Forbidden City is as big as an entire Georgetown.

Lastly, the mysterious Ningxia. Mysterious it might be to us commoners but not to film makers worldwide. Many films like Treasure Hunter and The Mummy 3 was filmed right here.

These are my short intro for the cities that I've set foot on. Will write soon on each of the places I went to soon~Zai Jian!

No comments: