Saturday, May 03, 2008

Jakarta

Current location : Jakarta

Life in Jakarta is so far so good. I have been out most of the days. Mind you though, I did not go on a spending spree..couldn't afford it even if I wanted to. To set the record straight, things aren't exactly cheap here.

There are so many shopping malls here. Yet, there seems to be more new ones built everytime I come. Nearby my aunt's place used to have only one mall which is called Megamall. Now there is Pluit Junction and one more on the way..don't know the name though. Megamall is under renovation as well. Getting bigger and prettier. I went to a new mall yesterday, it is called Pondok Indah Mall. It seems that only the rich and famous shop and dine here. I went to a place called Duck King. We waited for an hour just to get a place. Some celebrity dined there as well. But I don't know who she was(some Indonesian actress). According to my cousin, those that live in Pondok Indah are filthy rich. Houses as big as castles. People, I tell you, the houses here are freaking big. Now the trend is to build western influence housed..therefore you see a lot of big pillars, statues at the front of the house, town houses. Most of these houses are empty. Sometimes the servants amount to more than their owners. Ok, coming back to the main point, if the housing areas nearby where I live isn't big enough, I'm just wondering how big the houses in Pondok Indah are. If I have the chance to take pictures, I'll post it up in my blog later.

There's one thing that I don't really like though. The traffic is seriously horrendous here. Especially on weekdays, a normal journeys that takes only 30 minutes at the maximum can go up till an hour or more. Alot of time is wasted on the road. Everybody drives here. Nada public transportation, too dangerous. Maybe it is just in Jakarta as it is really difficult making a living especially if you are the low wage earner. Rich are filthy rich and poor are darn poor. The gap is just too big.

will try to update as often as i can but the connection here is slow. and what with me going out everyday, there is not much time left for me to go online.

No comments: